Water, the most important liquid on the planet, makes up roughly 60% of the human body. That is why it is so important to stay hydrated. While there is no “real” recommended amount of water you should drink a day, most doctors agree that you should try and consume 8-10, eight-ounce cups (64-80 fl oz) of water each day. The health benefits of drinking water are numerous and some are even surprising. Here are some amazing benefits of drinking water:
- Keeps your skin hydrated. Your skin is mostly made of water. When dehydrated, it can lead to disorders and wrinkles. Drinking water is the easiest and cheapest way to stay looking young!
- Lubricates your joints. Cartilage contains 80% water. Dehydration lessens the effectiveness cartilage has on joints and, in turn, leads to pain and inflammation.
- Aids in weight loss. Water is the perfect zero-calorie drink to replace soda or other sugary drinks. Also, drinking a big glass of water before a meal will help prevent overeating.
- Promotes healthy kidneys. Your kidneys are primarily used to filter liquids that come through your body. When dehydrated, kidney stones can start to form, and, in extreme cases, dehydration can lead to kidney failure.
- Relieves allergies. When your body is dehydrated, its airway is constricted. This will heighten breathing difficulties brought on by allergies or asthma.
- Helps with healthy digestion. The digestive system is reliant on water to process food correctly. Dehydration can lead to digestive problems, constipation, and heartburn.
Water is so important to our everyday lives that we should be making a concerted effort to drink the recommended amount. According to the Institute of Medicine, in 2013 almost 75% of Americans suffer from chronic dehydration. Don’t become a statistic and make sure to get at least 64 fluid ounces of water each day. There are plenty of ways to make sure you get your water each day. Try remembering to drink a glass of water after every bathroom break or using one of the numerous water tracking apps. If those require more effort than you want to put in, just having a water bottle nearby will help with hydration!